One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The automatic addition of names and addresses from a database to letters and envelopes in order to facilitate sending mail, especially advertising, to many addresses.
- ‘‘For the competition, random tasks would keep popping up and you had to do different tasks in Word like mail merge, creating table of contents, footnotes or formatting images.’’
- ‘Popular programs such as Microsoft Word now include a spelling and grammar checker, thesaurus, clip art, hyperlinking, page layout, envelope and label creation, mail merge and other tools that you once needed other programs to provide.’
- ‘The program allows you to email and do mail merge to your entire database of contacts.’
- ‘VIP Manager includes features such as mail merge, an internal diary, personnel adviser and powerful search and filtering.’
- ‘The next thing you know, you're their ‘personal banker,’ receiving direct phone calls relating to everything from how to do a mail merge in Word, to something's wrong with my home computer.’
mail merge/ˈmāl ˌmərj/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.