One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
virginity, honour, maidenhood, chastity, chasteness, purity, pureness, lack of sin, sinlessness, spotlessness, wholesomeness, innocence, decency, virtuousness, respectability, dignity, modestyView synonyms
- ‘The actual caption is, ‘Protect What's Yours’ - which could either mean ‘your woman’ or, in the unlikely event the reader is a female, ‘your maidenhead.’’
- ‘He took my maidenhead from me, and told me that I was getting the first of him as well.’
- ‘The Water Spirit and the witch Jeibaba act as parental figures, trying to preserve their daughter's maidenhead.’
- ‘She elopes with her 19-year-old ‘Adonis’, Charles, to a convenient public house in Chelsea, where she finally surrenders her maidenhead.’
- ‘The circumstances of a middle-class revolution thus thrust upon the women of that same class the duty of carrying, in the form of their maidenhead, the burden of the argument of moral equality.’
- 1.1 The hymen.
- ‘Paintings symbolized Mary's hymen as an unbroken pane of glass, and poems like Pope's The Rape of the Lock figured the maiden's maidenhead as fine, breakable porcelain.’
- ‘The nurse finally arrived and immediately began examining the girl's lip and maidenhead as Rhian looked on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.