Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chiefly tropical fern of delicate appearance, having slender-stalked fronds with round or wedge-shaped divided lobes.
- ‘Among the ferns are California polypody, maidenhair fern, and golden-back fern.’
- ‘Running the length of the backyard is an elevated planting area, which the couple filled with woodland plants - vine maples, hellebores, and maidenhair ferns.’
- ‘Walk through the prairie's first showing of pussytoes, puccoon, and bird's foot violets, walk through the tick-ridden grasses, walk through the wild phlox and unfurling ferns of maidenhair.’
- ‘Although they all are lush and green, there is quite a variety in their textures and sizes, everything from robust, six-foot-high ostrich ferns to dainty maidenhair ferns, with each leaflet looking like a miniature, green fan.’
- ‘Southern maidenhair often hangs over the mouth of the springs, and watercress is common in the clear spring water.’
- ‘Beneath the mixed hardwood and redwood forest canopy, the light is dim, broken in places into shafts that highlight clusters of maidenhair ferns and lush beds of redwood sorrel, a cloverlike ground cover.’
- ‘Others are maidenhair spleenwort, two kinds of polypody, and walking fern.’
- ‘Finally, the maidenhair fern, Adiantum capillus-veneris, which grows in moist shady places in Europe and N. America, has several uses.’
- ‘The 8-foot-deep porch is edged by a 12-foot-long garden bed, where Dalbok planted tall banana and palm trees to act as a backdrop and provide shade for more delicate plants like maidenhair ferns.’
- ‘The foliage resembles that of a maidenhair fern.’
- ‘A tributary feeds in and has two stone bridges; the one for infrequent cars is frizzy with maidenhair ferns, two yards away its predecessor for packhorses is painted with lichens.’
- ‘There is variety in texture, too, from the fragile laciness of maidenhair fern to the solidity of harts tongue fern.’
- ‘Although they don't flower, maidenhair ferns are one of the most popular indoor plants.’
- ‘Towards the top of the track watch for maidenhair fern, golden ake ake, (which you may recognise as a popular hedge plant), a native myrtle with a nobbly trunk, a pigeonwood with orange berries in season, hebes, and a large leaved Broadleaf.’
- ‘Species of the eastern deciduous forest are northern maidenhair, maidenhair spleenwort, and oak fern.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.