One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chiefly tropical fern of delicate appearance, having slender-stalked fronds with round or wedge-shaped divided lobes.
Genus Adiantum, family Adiantaceae: several species, in particular A. capillus-veneris of Eurasia and North America
- ‘The foliage resembles that of a maidenhair fern.’
- ‘Towards the top of the track watch for maidenhair fern, golden ake ake, (which you may recognise as a popular hedge plant), a native myrtle with a nobbly trunk, a pigeonwood with orange berries in season, hebes, and a large leaved Broadleaf.’
- ‘Beneath the mixed hardwood and redwood forest canopy, the light is dim, broken in places into shafts that highlight clusters of maidenhair ferns and lush beds of redwood sorrel, a cloverlike ground cover.’
- ‘There is variety in texture, too, from the fragile laciness of maidenhair fern to the solidity of harts tongue fern.’
- ‘Species of the eastern deciduous forest are northern maidenhair, maidenhair spleenwort, and oak fern.’
- ‘Others are maidenhair spleenwort, two kinds of polypody, and walking fern.’
- ‘Walk through the prairie's first showing of pussytoes, puccoon, and bird's foot violets, walk through the tick-ridden grasses, walk through the wild phlox and unfurling ferns of maidenhair.’
- ‘Although they all are lush and green, there is quite a variety in their textures and sizes, everything from robust, six-foot-high ostrich ferns to dainty maidenhair ferns, with each leaflet looking like a miniature, green fan.’
- ‘Southern maidenhair often hangs over the mouth of the springs, and watercress is common in the clear spring water.’
- ‘Running the length of the backyard is an elevated planting area, which the couple filled with woodland plants - vine maples, hellebores, and maidenhair ferns.’
- ‘Finally, the maidenhair fern, Adiantum capillus-veneris, which grows in moist shady places in Europe and N. America, has several uses.’
- ‘Although they don't flower, maidenhair ferns are one of the most popular indoor plants.’
- ‘The 8-foot-deep porch is edged by a 12-foot-long garden bed, where Dalbok planted tall banana and palm trees to act as a backdrop and provide shade for more delicate plants like maidenhair ferns.’
- ‘Among the ferns are California polypody, maidenhair fern, and golden-back fern.’
- ‘A tributary feeds in and has two stone bridges; the one for infrequent cars is frizzy with maidenhair ferns, two yards away its predecessor for packhorses is painted with lichens.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.