Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One of the two major traditions of Buddhism, now practiced in a variety of forms especially in China, Tibet, Japan, and Korea. The tradition emerged around the 1st century AD and is typically concerned with altruistically oriented spiritual practice as embodied in the ideal of the bodhisattva.Compare with Theravada
- ‘The general Mahayana, like the Hinayana, can be subdivided into two vehicles: the Paramitayana and the Mantrayana.’
- ‘The kind of Buddhism we follow - Mahayana Buddhism - has the ideal that you're in the middle of all of the defilement, chaos and unrest, but you're still concentrating.’
- ‘In Mahayana Buddhism the starting point is complete emptiness - nothing at all.’
- ‘Clearly, this ‘Zen ‘is different from Mahayana Buddhism that teaches compassion and wisdom.’’
- ‘The ‘Northern School,’ known as Mahayana Buddhism, is found most often in China, Japan, Tibet, Korea, and Vietnam.’
- ‘In the United States the dominant form of Buddhism is Mahayana Buddhism, and Theravada Buddhism is confined to a few viharas.’
- ‘Through practicing Mahayana, it is not easy to achieve the state of bliss or enlightenment.’
- ‘It depends upon the level of teachings that one is able to relate to, such as Mahayana or Hinayana.’
- ‘The Mahayana tradition of Buddhism is dominant in Vietnam, and over 70 percent of Vietnamese consider themselves at least nominally Buddhist.’
- ‘The fifth century saw a Hindu kingdom established in Java and in the seventh century the kingdom of Srivijaya in south Sumatra was a major center of Mahayana Buddhism.’
- ‘With proper motivation, any practice of Mahayana would have that benefit.’
- ‘To help others and to create the basis for benefit is the main precept for Mahayana.’
- ‘Although later Mahayana Buddhism virtually made the Buddha himself into a god, the historical Gautama Buddha (who lived in the fifth century BCE) never mentioned God.’
- ‘Buddhism has survived even in communist China, while in Japan the Pure Land sects of Mahayana Buddhism remain popular.’
- ‘Historically, Bhutan had a theocratic system of government similar to that in Tibet, dominated by the Druk Buddhist sect of Mahayana Buddhism.’
- ‘Buddhism was an influential religion throughout America by the 1970s, with Theravada Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism greatly influencing immigrants.’
- ‘Many miraculous stories are told and many special ceremonies and art works relating to Avalokitesvara have made the Bodhisattva into a very central figure in Mahayana Buddhism.’
- ‘The Buddhist thought of the Three Kingdoms does not seem to have gone much beyond research into the texts of Hinayana and Mahayana.’
- ‘Vietnamese Buddhists are almost always Mahayana Buddhists, the general school of Buddhism found in China, Japan, Korea, and Tibet.’
- ‘It was Mahayana Buddhism that spread to China, Korea, Japan and Vietnam.’
From Sanskrit, from mahā great + yāna vehicle.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.