[treated as singular] The branch of physics that studies the behavior of an electrically conducting fluid such as a plasma or molten metal acted on by a magnetic field.
- ‘My favorite in this category is magnetohydrodynamics, which is the study of plasmas and their interplay with electromagnetic fields.’
- ‘Stewartson studied rotating fluid flows, shear layers, magnetohydrodynamics, the triple-deck theory, and flow at both high and low Reynolds numbers.’
- ‘In addition, the sun's atmosphere poses extremely interesting problems in magnetohydrodynamics and fundamental plasma physics that have important implications for a wide range of astrophysical and geophysical problems.’
- ‘His work forms the basis of the modern science known as magnetohydrodynamics.’
- ‘This textbook provides a modern and accessible introduction to magnetohydrodynamics.’