One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The property of a magnet that interacts with an applied field to give a mechanical moment.
- ‘Electron spins are easier to detect than nuclear spins because an electron's magnetic moment is 658 times stronger than a proton's.’
- ‘Scientists have recently achieved breakthrough quantum mechanical simulations of magnetic moments at high temperatures.’
- ‘At very low temperature this metal develops magnetic order, whereby the magnetic moments of its electrons align with one other.’
- ‘Recent experiments support the idea that crystal defects may be responsible for the quantum tunnelling of magnetic moments in molecular magnets at low temperatures.’
- ‘The holmium atoms in this salt all behave like tiny magnets and, in the absence of a magnetic field, their magnetic moments point in random directions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.