One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mine detonated by the proximity of a magnetized body such as a ship or tank.
- ‘As the gold sailed back to England, the destroyer was hit and sunk by a magnetic mine.’
- ‘He had graduated from University College London in 1937 and then carried out wartime research for the Admiralty on acoustic and magnetic mines.’
- ‘One managed to negotiate the harbour's torpedo nets and attach a warhead to the cruiser's hull, and attach magnetic mines to other ships.’
- ‘The mission of the ships is to clear coastal and ocean waters, shore areas, and harbours of pressure/contact, acoustic, and magnetic mines using reconnaissance, classification and neutralisation.’
- ‘As the Dakotian let go an anchor off Dale Point, there was a massive explosion and a magnetic mine blew out part of her port side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.