Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of rocks and minerals) containing or relatively rich in magnesium.
- ‘Most typical of the volcanicity is the presence of ultrabasic lavas and the highly magnesian basic lavas known as komatiites.’
- ‘Moreover, magnesian and hydrous magmas such as boninites and lamprophyres apparently find no difficulty in traversing the crust.’
- ‘Serpentine is a secondary mineral, a magnesian silicate, formed from minerals such as olivine and orthopyroxene.’
- ‘The kind of ore that attracted iron was once called magnesian stone, because it was discovered in the part of Asia Minor near Magnesia.’
- ‘Most complaints have been about noise from Darrington Quarry East, the part of the site nearest homes, where a large hydraulic hammer is being used to break magnesian limestone rocks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.