One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple form of image projector used for showing photographic slides.
- ‘The end of the exhibition was dedicated to an archive of the technology itself, displaying a historical lineage of objects from magic lanterns to a variety of early slide projectors.’
- ‘After the advent of photography in the mid-century, magic lanterns were increasingly produced and sold primarily for domestic use.’
- ‘Fuller's stage performances utilised electric lighting, coloured gels, magic lanterns, shadow-play and projections to create spectacular onstage effects, making her experiments with film a logical development of her art.’
- ‘Now that was the new technology and they were just starting to use electric lights to project the magic lanterns instead of the carbide lamps,’
- ‘Martin also sold magic lanterns, which projected ghostly figures onto walls or clouds of smoke, as well as convex and concave glasses, mirrors that curved and distended proportions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.