One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple form of image projector used for showing photographic slides.
- ‘Now that was the new technology and they were just starting to use electric lights to project the magic lanterns instead of the carbide lamps,’
- ‘The end of the exhibition was dedicated to an archive of the technology itself, displaying a historical lineage of objects from magic lanterns to a variety of early slide projectors.’
- ‘Martin also sold magic lanterns, which projected ghostly figures onto walls or clouds of smoke, as well as convex and concave glasses, mirrors that curved and distended proportions.’
- ‘Fuller's stage performances utilised electric lighting, coloured gels, magic lanterns, shadow-play and projections to create spectacular onstage effects, making her experiments with film a logical development of her art.’
- ‘After the advent of photography in the mid-century, magic lanterns were increasingly produced and sold primarily for domestic use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.