Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small North American freshwater catfish that has a venom gland at the base of the pectoral fin spines, with which it can inflict a painful wound.
- ‘The pygmy madtom is one of the rarest fishes in North America; only about 50 specimens have ever been collected.’
- ‘The four listed fish are the spotfin chub, yellowfin madtom, smoky madtom, and duskytail darter.’
- ‘Most of the species in this family are the small, stream-dwelling madtoms, which are relatively rare in the Northeast where Ameiurus and Ictalurus are more common.’
- ‘The slabrocks were also being used by several other darter species, as well as madtoms.’
- ‘The Carolina madtom appears to be a declining species throughout its range.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.