One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small North American freshwater catfish that has a venom gland at the base of the pectoral fin spines, with which it can inflict a painful wound.
- ‘The Carolina madtom appears to be a declining species throughout its range.’
- ‘Most of the species in this family are the small, stream-dwelling madtoms, which are relatively rare in the Northeast where Ameiurus and Ictalurus are more common.’
- ‘The pygmy madtom is one of the rarest fishes in North America; only about 50 specimens have ever been collected.’
- ‘The slabrocks were also being used by several other darter species, as well as madtoms.’
- ‘The four listed fish are the spotfin chub, yellowfin madtom, smoky madtom, and duskytail darter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.