One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strong, fine-textured cotton fabric, typically patterned with colorful stripes or checks.
- ‘Afterwards, we stapled madras tissue (it's variegated with beautiful colors) over their line drawing paper.’
- ‘For the prepsters, madras returns in a variety of colours.’
- ‘The costume features madras fabric, introduced from India after Antigua won independence.’
- ‘They looked about sixty or so, weekenders, he in jeans and madras shirt, she in a white t-shirt under summer dress, both with that healthy gleam you see in older folks a lot these days, all active-minds and fiberful-digestions.’
- ‘It consists of a madras head-tie and a skirt with lace petticoats draped at the sides.’
- ‘I don't remember how long the first madras trend lasted - just a summer somewhere in the '60s, maybe?’
- ‘I close my eyes and, once more, imagine him standing before me, all tan muscles, adorable grin, tousled brown hair, and sea-green eyes, fingering the hem of his madras button-down in that cute nervous way he has.’
- ‘Rose had used babysitting money to buy a new pair of pedal pushers and a madras plaid cropped top.’
- ‘Eastern Ijo memorial arts, including the funeral bed shown in the preceding gallery, which is elaborately decorated with Indian madras, also reflect the eclectic approach taken by Delta artists.’
- ‘They wear a George, or madras, wrapper and carry brass bells.’
- ‘Ashanti kept his head tied with a madras bandana.’
- ‘For women's wear, the firm generated interest with its crushed voile in small plaids and stronger madras plaids, noted Luc Wende, marketing manager.’
- ‘He's wearing a madras hat, plaid women's slacks that go down only as far as his shins, and a plaid jacket with two drooping flowers in his lapel.’
- ‘He wore a Shazi polo shirt - a mixture of black and madras cloth.’
- ‘On the yacht, you'll have the true believers in capitalism (in their madras jackets), and on dry land, everyone else - hurling insults at them.’
- ‘When I turned back, he was still standing at the stage, big as life, in that ugly madras jacket.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Sportmax went for 1970s romance with long hippie skirts in madras.’
- ‘Stripes and plaids, mostly madras style, were in both prints and yam dyes.’
Mid 19th century: by association with Madras.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.