One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In an extremely annoying way.‘their failings were maddeningly ignored’as submodifier ‘the solution is maddeningly complex’
- ‘For many, there seemed to be, maddeningly, nothing there to see.’
- ‘She tells us that she cannot read Spanish well, so she quotes maddeningly few lines from his letters.’
- ‘His grasp of cinematic language is not fluid enough to prevent the film from becoming, at times, maddeningly opaque.’
- ‘He is a maddeningly underappreciated American writer, perhaps the least known great writer alive in America.’
- ‘Hanging flasks released drops of water, which fell, at a maddeningly slow rate, into huge concave discs on the floor.’
- ‘The staging of the love duet is maddeningly persuasive.’
- ‘The subtitles were maddeningly sparse, leaving you with little idea of what was truly taking place.’
- ‘The characters are maddeningly underwritten.’
- ‘In the span of 28 minutes, the band races through 10 songs that are all maddeningly pleasant-sounding.’
- ‘Whenever Johnson runs out of ideas, he throws in an invisible chihuahua that keeps maddeningly yapping.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.