One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for macula
spot, mark, patch, pop, dot, speck, speckle, freckle, smudge, smear, streak, stain, blotch, blot, splash, dab, daubView synonyms
- ‘The skin lesions are nonpalpable macules that may persist for months to years and are typically asymptomatic except for the cosmetic appearance.’
- ‘The lesions first appear as macules or papules distributed in a dermatomal pattern, which progress into vesicles, then pustules, and, finally, crusts.’
- ‘The ash-colored macules vary in size and shape and are localized to the arms, neck and trunk.’
- ‘The rash typically begins as pink macules, 2 to 6 mm in diameter, located on the wrists, forearms, ankles, palms and soles.’
- ‘Impetigo is characterized by red macules and vesicles that can rupture with purulent exudates.’
Late 15th century: from French, or from Latin macula ‘spot’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.