One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the macula of the eye.‘macular degeneration’
- ‘New treatments such as photodynamic therapy and macular surgery may limit the extent of visual loss and in a few cases even restore sight.’
- ‘A history of coronary artery bypass grafting or angioplasty was associated with macular degeneration.’
- ‘Loss of vitreous gel can occur, predisposing the patient to postoperative inflammation, macular oedema, or retinal detachment.’
- ‘High levels of antioxidants and zinc significantly reduce the risk of advanced age-related macular degeneration and its associated vision loss.’
- ‘Cessation of smoking and a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables should be recommended in patients who are found on routine testing to have bilateral age related macular changes with normal central vision,.’
Consisting of a distinct spot or spots.‘a red macular rash’
spotty, spotted, blemished, blotched, patchy, uneven, smudged, freckled, marked, smeary, streaked, stippled, covered with blotchesView synonyms
- ‘Patients often initially present with the classic erythema migrans rash, a macular, erythematous, circular area with central clearing that expands around the site of the tick bite.’
- ‘The rash was erythematous, well demarcated, and macular.’
- ‘However, a reddish-purple macular rash with lesions about 3 to 8 mm in diameter was scattered across the abdomen and upper thighs.’
- ‘The lesions are pink and macular and fade with applied pressure.’
- ‘A 17 year old man was referred with a 12 hour history of generalised headache, mild photophobia, and a rash on his body that was macular and blanching.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.