One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The large-scale or overall structure of something, e.g. an organism, a mechanical construction, or a written text.
- ‘The term microstructure is used to characterize the fine structure of the skeletal material of which various skeletal macrostructures are constructed.’
- ‘The macrostructures disclosed the presence of equiaxed grains as well as areas of mixed grain structure.’
- ‘In their chiral nematic states, the materials have a helical macrostructure which acts like a diffraction grating and selectively reflect light just like a compact disc does.’
- ‘Chapter 8 uses the ideas of complex nonlinear systems to help explain how a myriad of microinteractions (usually at the individual level) helps govern the activities of macrostructures.’
- ‘Their macrostructures are similar to those of present-day soils, with pseudo-anticlinal structures and cuspate structures comparable to those produced by the expansion and contraction of swelling clays.’
- ‘Amazingly, this response allows the wild-type oligomeric PSII structure and the granal membrane to be maintained, emphasizing the importance and robustness of the thylakoid macrostructure.’
- ‘Freud gives the example of the army as an analogous macrostructure of supra-individual subjectivation.’
- ‘As suggested above by Carr, however, there is not a clear, unambiguous macrostructure for the book; and this makes for a complex unity.’
- ‘This may not be fossilization as we know it, of large macrostructures, but fossilization at a molecular level.’
- ‘To understand the self-assembly mechanism of a given oligopeptide, it is necessary to study the conditions under which the oligopeptides aggregate and further develop into macrostructures.’
- ‘The diffusion coefficients determined are then averaged over the macrostructure of the surrounding excited volume.’
- ‘Most 3 - D imaging modalities are slow to acquire images and only show macrostructures within the living tissue instead of what is happening at the cellular level where drugs succeed or fail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.