One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant, especially an aquatic plant, large enough to be seen by the naked eye.
- ‘The sewage lagoons provided a very localized but relatively species-rich ecosystem, which acted as a cutrophic oasis of algae and aquatic macrophytes and benefited birds at several trophic levels.’
- ‘The extensive belt of submerged and emergent littoral macrophytes dampened wave action nearshore, so that fine-grained muds could accumulate in shallow water between the vegetation.’
- ‘Sessile aquatic macrophytes, however, cannot maintain the same well-defined three-dimensional structure because of the strong drag and shear forces of moving water.’
- ‘Both marine birds feeding at sea and macrophytes and carrion washing ashore were significant sources of marine-derived nutrients in the Great Barrier Reef and the Gulf of California.’
- ‘The distribution of aquatic macrophytes in shallow lakes is related in various ways to the physical characteristics of the lakes and their bottom sediments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.