One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant, especially an aquatic plant, large enough to be seen by the naked eye.
- ‘The distribution of aquatic macrophytes in shallow lakes is related in various ways to the physical characteristics of the lakes and their bottom sediments.’
- ‘The extensive belt of submerged and emergent littoral macrophytes dampened wave action nearshore, so that fine-grained muds could accumulate in shallow water between the vegetation.’
- ‘Both marine birds feeding at sea and macrophytes and carrion washing ashore were significant sources of marine-derived nutrients in the Great Barrier Reef and the Gulf of California.’
- ‘Sessile aquatic macrophytes, however, cannot maintain the same well-defined three-dimensional structure because of the strong drag and shear forces of moving water.’
- ‘The sewage lagoons provided a very localized but relatively species-rich ecosystem, which acted as a cutrophic oasis of algae and aquatic macrophytes and benefited birds at several trophic levels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.