Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Constituting, relating to, or following a diet of whole pure prepared foods that is based on Taoist principles of the balance of yin and yang.
- ‘Years ago, in fact, when Carol Channing was following a macrobiotic diet, she would show up in the best restaurants and fanciest homes with a little brown bag with her meal therein.’
- ‘The problem was that Eric decided to go on a macrobiotic diet to cleanse his system and he lost so much weight you could see his skull under his skin.’
- ‘She practices yoga, keeps a macrobiotic diet, and is a devoted student of Kabbalah, a mystical form of Judaism, which predates organized religion.’
- ‘The other problem is that the only other time she felt good about her body and weight was on a very strict macrobiotic diet.’
- ‘What's the number one treat in the macrobiotic diet?’
- ‘If you've been scared off Atkins, confused by the latest macrobiotic diet or are fed up with protein shakes, don't despair.’
- ‘I've followed a healthy macrobiotic diet for 10 years now, which means that I try to stick to fresh organic food and avoid dairy and meat.’
- ‘If a macrobiotic diet is healthy it is by accident, since foods are selected not for their physical or nutritional qualities, but for their metaphysical properties.’
- ‘Soft-shelled varieties, especially that called ‘Ma-Yuen’, are preferred for eating, for example in macrobiotic diets.’
- ‘Maybe it's her macrobiotic diet, or the pressures of being a young mother, or the fact that she's married to a man who writes nothing but dreary, whiny songs all the time.’
- ‘I went on a very strict macrobiotic diet and I didn't go out partying.’
- ‘Umm, there is nothing on the menu that fits a macrobiotic diet.’
- ‘In addition, persons that are strict vegetarians or have macrobiotic diets may need vitamin B 12 supplements.’
- ‘Both in college and again in the eighties, I followed macrobiotic diets.’
- ‘Twenty-five years ago, when yoga was strictly for the bearded, and macrobiotic diets were not remotely fashionable, Kathy Phillips took up both.’
- ‘Like Gwyneth, she opted for a macrobiotic diet, in which no wheat, meat or dairy products are allowed.’
- ‘The macrobiotic diet contains whole foods that are extremely high in natural minerals and include: grains, beans, vegetables and sea vegetables, sea salt, and miso.’
- ‘I wanted my body to devote itself to getting better, not digesting unhealthy food, so I worked out a diet based on macrobiotic and Ayurvedic principles and ate only organically grown food.’
- ‘Lower bone mineral content also was found in children who had consumed a macrobiotic diet compared with those who had not consumed a macrobiotic diet in the first six years of life.’
- ‘Her two-hour sunrise yoga sessions and macrobiotic diet (though hers appears to include wine and cheese) have been held up as instances of fussy obsessiveness.’
[treated as singular] The use or theory of a macrobiotic diet.
- ‘He enrolled on a course in macrobiotics in London - and four years later, in 1993, left with a certificate from the London School of Macrobiotics and membership of the Macrobiotics Association of Great Britain.’
- ‘Ooh, and she gave up macrobiotics and started eating biscuits for her little biscuit!’
- ‘My family moved through fads and phases very quickly, everything from EST training to crystal healing, macrobiotics and cooperative living.’
- ‘What impressed me most about that weekend was the number of people who'd taken up macrobiotics and recovered from a variety of illnesses.’
- ‘From macrobiotics to South Beach, celebrities can't seem to get enough of them.’
- ‘He did not think about being a cook until sometime in his late 20s, when he started investigating macrobiotics.’
- ‘In macrobiotics some food is beneficial at certain times.’
- ‘It explains and questions such disparate subjects as Congolese dinosaurs, Kabbalah and macrobiotics.’
- ‘Japanese macrobiotics uses a grated poultice of the taro potato which grows in tropical, hot countries.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.