One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Constituting, relating to, or following a diet of whole pure prepared foods that is based on Taoist principles of the balance of yin and yang.
- ‘The macrobiotic diet contains whole foods that are extremely high in natural minerals and include: grains, beans, vegetables and sea vegetables, sea salt, and miso.’
- ‘Like Gwyneth, she opted for a macrobiotic diet, in which no wheat, meat or dairy products are allowed.’
- ‘Umm, there is nothing on the menu that fits a macrobiotic diet.’
- ‘Soft-shelled varieties, especially that called ‘Ma-Yuen’, are preferred for eating, for example in macrobiotic diets.’
- ‘She practices yoga, keeps a macrobiotic diet, and is a devoted student of Kabbalah, a mystical form of Judaism, which predates organized religion.’
- ‘What's the number one treat in the macrobiotic diet?’
- ‘I went on a very strict macrobiotic diet and I didn't go out partying.’
- ‘In addition, persons that are strict vegetarians or have macrobiotic diets may need vitamin B 12 supplements.’
- ‘Twenty-five years ago, when yoga was strictly for the bearded, and macrobiotic diets were not remotely fashionable, Kathy Phillips took up both.’
- ‘The problem was that Eric decided to go on a macrobiotic diet to cleanse his system and he lost so much weight you could see his skull under his skin.’
- ‘I wanted my body to devote itself to getting better, not digesting unhealthy food, so I worked out a diet based on macrobiotic and Ayurvedic principles and ate only organically grown food.’
- ‘Years ago, in fact, when Carol Channing was following a macrobiotic diet, she would show up in the best restaurants and fanciest homes with a little brown bag with her meal therein.’
- ‘Maybe it's her macrobiotic diet, or the pressures of being a young mother, or the fact that she's married to a man who writes nothing but dreary, whiny songs all the time.’
- ‘Lower bone mineral content also was found in children who had consumed a macrobiotic diet compared with those who had not consumed a macrobiotic diet in the first six years of life.’
- ‘Both in college and again in the eighties, I followed macrobiotic diets.’
- ‘If a macrobiotic diet is healthy it is by accident, since foods are selected not for their physical or nutritional qualities, but for their metaphysical properties.’
- ‘The other problem is that the only other time she felt good about her body and weight was on a very strict macrobiotic diet.’
- ‘Her two-hour sunrise yoga sessions and macrobiotic diet (though hers appears to include wine and cheese) have been held up as instances of fussy obsessiveness.’
- ‘I've followed a healthy macrobiotic diet for 10 years now, which means that I try to stick to fresh organic food and avoid dairy and meat.’
- ‘If you've been scared off Atkins, confused by the latest macrobiotic diet or are fed up with protein shakes, don't despair.’
treated as singular The use or theory of a macrobiotic diet.
- ‘He enrolled on a course in macrobiotics in London - and four years later, in 1993, left with a certificate from the London School of Macrobiotics and membership of the Macrobiotics Association of Great Britain.’
- ‘It explains and questions such disparate subjects as Congolese dinosaurs, Kabbalah and macrobiotics.’
- ‘Japanese macrobiotics uses a grated poultice of the taro potato which grows in tropical, hot countries.’
- ‘Ooh, and she gave up macrobiotics and started eating biscuits for her little biscuit!’
- ‘In macrobiotics some food is beneficial at certain times.’
- ‘From macrobiotics to South Beach, celebrities can't seem to get enough of them.’
- ‘He did not think about being a cook until sometime in his late 20s, when he started investigating macrobiotics.’
- ‘What impressed me most about that weekend was the number of people who'd taken up macrobiotics and recovered from a variety of illnesses.’
- ‘My family moved through fads and phases very quickly, everything from EST training to crystal healing, macrobiotics and cooperative living.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.