One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short coat or jacket made of a thick, heavy woolen cloth, typically with a plaid design.
- ‘From the Indian languages come chipmunk, mackinaw (a bush jacket), moose, muskeg (boggy, mossy land), muskrat.’
- ‘I do not remember too much about Earl except that he must not have been too bright because he was wearing a black-and-white mackinaw - a heavy coat - in the summer.’
- ‘The Filson mackinaw cruiser is a classic hunting jacket that has been around for decades and is as good as ever.’
- ‘I also bought him a grey fleece mackinaw - an oversized shirt in the same cozy fleece fabric as the blankets.’
- ‘The girl described the driver of the van as a Caucasian man wearing a black and green work jacket, possibly a mackinaw.’
Early 19th century: named after Mackinaw City, Michigan, formerly an important trading post.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.