One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A method of making animated film using software similar to that designed for making video and computer games.
- ‘More than just a cheap way to make an animated movie, machinima allows game players to comment directly on the pop culture they so devotedly consume.’
- ‘We see glimmers of that in some machinima projects, like Red v Blue or in Flash-shorts like Homestar Runner, a clubbish sense of ownership by its fans that turn them into relentless marketers of the net-art.’
- ‘Already, a small cult of machinima has started up, using game engines as studios to create movie-like scenes.’
- 1.1 The genre of films created by machinima.
- ‘This Half-Life 2 machinima is worth a moment if only for its strangely appealing Dutch rap.’
- ‘THIS SPRING, ELECTRONIC ARTS DECIDED to promote the Sims 2 by hiring Rooster Teeth to create a machinima show using the game.’
- ‘One of the more popular machinima concepts is to create a music video using characters in a game (there were a bunch of Star Wars ones that got passed around for a while).’
- ‘By now, you've probably seen some machinima - the art of using video-game 3D engines to create little movies, by positioning the characters in dramatic situations and adding overdubs.’
- ‘Now the punk-rock of machinima has arrived: Mame Jump, where a programmer uses old-school video games to produce the most surreal video to Van Halen's ‘Jump’ that I've ever seen, nor hope to see.’
- ‘Combining machinima, metriod-style side-scrolling, and classic console RPG elements, Paradox has a deep and convoluted plot.’
- ‘It's made using the Halo engine (as are many other machinimas) and it mostly operates on verbal and situational humor, but then again there are machinimas with a fair degree of ‘acting.’’
- ‘Gamesblogger Aleks Krotoski writes about The making of machinima (Hollywood storytelling with videogame animation), while Natalie Hanman looks at Logging on to find love.’
- ‘Fallen is a machinima music video created in Star Wars Galaxies about a tragic romance between a female Imperial officer and a male Rebel fighter using the song ‘Fallen’ by Delirium.’
- ‘Film enthusiasts are creating machinima, films made with computer gaming technology, some of it available for free on the Web.’
Early 21st century: blend of machine and cinema, probably influenced by anime.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.