One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of clothes or other fabric articles) able to be washed in a washing machine without damage.
- ‘It is machine washable and offered in sizes S - 4XL.’
- ‘It would be very nice if they were machine washable.’
- ‘You'll want to add several to your bedding collection because they are reasonably priced yet high quality and fully machine washable.’
- ‘The hats are machine washable and carry a Sun Protection Factor of 50-plus.’
- ‘So I took the completely soaked in blanket out of the machine… it went swoosh and nearly flooded the laundry room… but I read the label and it DID say it was machine washable!’
- ‘All the new fabrics are machine washable and many are strategically vented for comfort.’
- ‘A mix of trendy and traditional styles is available and the entire range is made from machine washable, minimum-iron fabrics with many featuring tough Teflon coating.’
- ‘The jeans are machine washable, but only once you've removed the iPod, you hopeless dolt.’
- ‘They appeal to whoever does the washing because they are machine washable and require no ironing!’
- ‘It is totally machine washable and dryer safe, it stays put, it's as soft as flannel and it comes in kicky prints like leopard and rose petal.’
- ‘The sheets and pillow cases are machine washable.’
- ‘Pillows (if not encased) and stuffed toys should be machine washable synthetic and should be washed in hot water at least monthly.’
- ‘Get one that's machine washable - and then wash it regularly.’
- ‘While you might really like the color and style of a specific fabric, you need to make sure that it is machine washable.’
- ‘The problem with metallics, however, is that they can't be dry-cleaned, nor are these hand-crafted costumes machine washable.’
- ‘After a day of self-conscious wear I finally relax into the idea of a better fitting bra - you can't feel the insert and the bra is machine washable.’
- ‘Most acrylic fake furs are machine washable in cold water.’
- ‘Set on easy rolling and lockable wheels, the Sleepi includes a cover-all top mattress, a second mattress, a cover and moisture barrier sheet, all of which are machine washable and suitable for spin drying.’
- ‘This flammable material disintegrates when subjected to drycleaning solvents, but is machine washable and dryable, nontoxic and can withstand the heat of a medium-hot iron.’
- ‘And one of the great things about the clothes is that they are all machine washable: even the fleece tops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.