One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Made using a machine rather than by hand.‘handmade cotton paper was replaced by machine-made paper’
- ‘Machine-made mozzarella has a single, regular ridge that no thumb can form.’
- ‘We finally arrive at our destination to find the streets lined with machine-made snow.’
- ‘Unlike the best cigars, cigarillos are machine-made.’
- ‘Beware of machine-made synthetic carpets that some art dealers spuriously project as antique carpet!’
- ‘Whereas less expensive synthetic saddles can be almost entirely machine-made, real leather saddles must be painstakingly hand-assembled.’
- ‘Customers may not realize that these frames are not machine-made.’
- ‘Most wigs on the market are machine-made and have fabric caps.’
- ‘Machine-made objects are considered by many to be better than hand-made ones.’
- ‘The company is exploring the prospect of making machine-made pots to meet the demand.’
- ‘A handmade rug will cost about twice as much as a machine-made version, but there's an obvious difference in quality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.