One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Operated or controlled by a machine or machinery.‘machine-driven vehicles replaced much of the manual labor of the past’
mechanized, automated, automatic, motor-driven, power-driven, self-propelledView synonyms
- ‘Only 4 percent of the population is employed in agriculture, which has become highly industrialized and machine-driven.’
- ‘The image of an aviator who circles and teases Mt Etna, mythical home of Vulcan, shows just how bold the call to anarchy and a new machine-driven age was in 1912 when men began to fly.’
- ‘The Industrial Revolution began at the end of the seventeenth century, specifically in the machine-driven manufacturing processes made possible by the steam engine.’
- ‘The historians in 1924 blamed the public's diminishing interest in politics on "the conditions of complex modern life: the frantic, overorganized, spectacular, urbanized, machine-driven world we live in today".’
- ‘Tolkien saw in the impersonal, machine-driven capitalism of the twentieth century a form of soft tyranny almost as oppressive as fascism or communism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.