Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adjectiveusually as adjective machicolated
with object Provide with machicolations.‘a machicolated fortress’
- ‘Each corner of these square towers is again surmounted by a projecting octagon turret, machicolated.’
- ‘The cornices are machicolated, though nobody expects to pour hot lead from the machicoulis.’
- ‘With its great round bastions and tall machicolated towers, Lahore station may look as if it is the product of some short lived collaboration between the Raj and the Diney Corporation.’
- ‘An enceinte marked by the towers and machicolated balconies stretches along the Seine in front of the château.’
- ‘This imposing monument is strongly guarded with its round machicolated towers bearing terraces for the artillery.’
- ‘The balcony can be reached by two bridges projecting from squat, machicolated towers - the houses have now been demolished, but the gallery remains.’
- ‘This tower was raised thirty-three feet by Sir Jeffry Wyatville, crowned with a machicolated battlement, and surmounted with a flag-tower.’
- ‘One enters the court of arms through a door with a pointed arch defended by a machicolated gallery above.’
- ‘Just below the machicolated parapet there are traces of the older crenellations.’
- ‘It is a small machicolated, projecting loggia used for defense.’
- ‘The carefully wrought and fully detailed weather vane, set high above the machicolated parapets of the building, at once attracts attention.’
- ‘The first step is to recognise what is going on, and to take steps to shore up the machicolated and moth-eaten institution in which I now sit.’
Late 18th century: from Anglo-Latin machicollare, based on Provençal machacol, from macar ‘to crush’ + col ‘neck’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.