One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The hypothesis that a body's inertial mass results from its interaction with the rest of the matter in the universe.
- ‘Sciama was very keen on Mach's principle, the idea that objects owe their inertia to the influence of all the other matter in the universe.’
- ‘Einstein also had philosophical reasons for preferring large-scale smoothness, stemming from an idea called Mach's principle.’
- ‘Working with his graduate student Carl Brans, Dicke incorporated Mach's principle into an alternate theory of gravity by adding an extra term to Einstein's equations.’
- ‘According to Mach, the slopping of your drink in the lurching aeroplane is attributable to the influence of all the matter in the Universe-an idea that became known as Mach's principle.’
- ‘Instead, Mach's principle is realized wholly within general relativity, in a way that ties in with string theory and the black hole membrane paradigm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.