One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The Australian tree with slender, glossy evergreen leaves that produces globular edible nuts.
- ‘Saxby Bridge has enthusiastically marketed all sorts of tax effective schemes involving things like tea trees, macadamias, wine and even online lingerie.’
- ‘This annual two-day specialist field day for the horticultural and macadamia industries attracts over 4000 people.’
- ‘Changes to the Threatened Species Conservation Act potentially prevent macadamia trees from being cleared from the area because they are classed as native flora.’
- ‘My wife and I find that the crickets are nosier than the frogs, and best of all, the mosquitoes have all but disappeared from our macadamia orchard.’
- ‘The embryo of macadamia comprises the edible kernel.’
- ‘More than 50,000 Mum and Dad investors claimed billions in tax deductions through the '90s for investing in things like macadamias, tea-trees and wine.’
- ‘Scuba divers explore the Julian Rocks Marine Reserve while bushwalkers stride into the rolling green hinterlands, through koala forests and macadamia plantations.’
- ‘More still needed to be done to diversify into crops such as smallcrops, olives, macadamias and hemp.’
- ‘Felix got him interested in macadamias, and Chris has been to Australia to collect breeding material.’
- ‘He also offered funding towards a code of practice for the macadamia industry, currently being developed by Lismore Council.’
- ‘‘We have appliances for catering businesses, macadamia farms and coffee plantations for example,’ John said.’
- ‘The Tin Dog, a Byron hinterland retreat surrounded by subtropical rainforest and macadamia plantations, is the creation of former Sydney-siders, Mark and Sue Kelly.’
- ‘Around 1882 the macadamia was introduced to Hawaii, and flourished.’
- ‘The group has visited outlying towns like Tenterfield, as well as the University, Nimbin, a dairy farm, the Lismore saleyards, and a macadamia farm.’
- ‘Hot and humid weather is threatening to cost the local macadamia industry $6 million after a rotting disease was found in number of orchards.’
- ‘The gang from Malibu Adjacent travel to Hawaii, where Notch meets up with his old friend, King Kumonya, a macadamia farmer with the biggest, juiciest nuts Notch has even eaten.’
2The edible nut of the macadamia tree.
- ‘Scoop in piles of cashews, almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pumpkin seeds or whatever you please.’
- ‘There is also macadamia nut oil, avocado oil and divine macadamia nougat.’
- ‘Its flavour has been likened to a cross between a Brazil nut and a macadamia nut.’
- ‘There are two categories - baking and cooking, for both professionals and amateurs, for a sweet or savoury recipe featuring macadamias and the herb of your choice.’
- ‘Like two other symbols of Hawaii, the pineapple and the macadamia nut, the ukulele is in fact an immigrant.’
- ‘Almonds, cashews and macadamias are full of monounsaturated fats, which help lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol.’
- ‘Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ.’
- ‘In this recipe I have used a mixture of pecans and macadamia as I like the contrast of texture and flavour.’
- ‘It had a lively fresh citrus bouquet, and there was something else to the presentation on the taste buds, almost like buttery macadamias from Hawaii.’
- ‘Many natural- and gourmet-food markets also carry almond, macadamia, Brazil nut, pistachio, cashew, pumpkin seed, hazelnut and sunflower seed butters.’
- ‘Try a California pistachio after one of these and you might as well be eating a macadamia.’
- ‘Vinaigrettes can be made with all sorts of different oils, from the obvious olive or sunflower to macadamia, avocado or hempseed.’
- ‘Place macadamias on a baking tray and roast until light golden for about 8 minutes.’
- ‘First, I consumed the entire box of chocolate macadamia cookies at the back of my fridge.’
- ‘Some of the newest gourmet flavored coffee includes vanilla, macadamia, and even peanut butter!’
- ‘A rich macadamia oil was rubbed all over my body, and the full-body massage began while the haunting strains of Aboriginal music plays softly in the background.’
- ‘I was so embarrassed that I had to buy those macadamias by way of apology.’
- ‘Beyond Dunoon - the macadamia capital of Australia - unfolds a rolling dairy country of tin-roofed homesteads surrounded by dusty purple mountains.’
- ‘He sniffed at the air just as Kat's parents came through the door, bearing a large plate of white chocolate macadamia cookies, and long, cold glasses of milk to go with.’
- ‘Although a macadamia nut is 75% fat, most of the fat is monounsaturated.’
Modern Latin, named after John Macadam (1827–65), Australian chemist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.