One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organelle in the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells containing degradative enzymes enclosed in a membrane.
- ‘The spindle cell population consisted of bipolar cells with large oval nuclei that contained macronucleoli and scattered rough endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, and lysosomes within their cytoplasm.’
- ‘In all eukaryotic cells the lysosomes or vacuoles play major cellular turnover roles, including autophagy where entire organelles are delivered to them for turnover.’
- ‘Furthermore, it is not enough simply to treat patients with recombinant enzymes - modifications must be made so that the infused enzyme is targeted to lysosomes in relevant cells and tissues.’
- ‘For instance, within the individual cell, the subcellular sites of photo-damage may include the plasma membrane, the lysosomes and the mitochondria.’
- ‘These efforts have successfully identified mitochondria, lysosomes and various cytoplasmic membranes as among the primary targets of PDT-mediated damage, depending on the particular photosensitizer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.