One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline compound prepared from natural ergot alkaloids or synthetically, from which the drug LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) can be made.
A tetracyclic acid; chemical formula: C₁₆H₁₆N₂O₂
- ‘Club drugs are favored over other recreational drugs, such as marijuana, lysergic acid diethylamide, methamphetamine, and opiates, because they are believed to enhance social interaction.’
- ‘Among these were marijuana, a revival of cocaine sniffing, and experimentation with lysergic acid diethylamide, a powerful hallucinogen.’
- ‘This is an acid amide derivative of lysergic acid.’
- ‘In 1943, the drug lysergic acid diethylamide was synthesized by a Swiss chemist.’
- ‘A synthetic variation of this compound called lysergic acid diethylamide is a powerful hallucinogen called LSD.’
1930s: lysergic from (hydro)lys(is) + erg(ot) + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.