One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Undergo or cause to undergo lysis.with object ‘the cells may be lysed by sonication, or in a hypotonic buffer solution’
- ‘Virus particles assemble within host cells and are released by lysing the cell.’
- ‘Then, they were thawed in 30 ml lysis buffer and immediately lysed.’
- ‘As the bacteria are released from the newly lysed cell, more macrophages begin the process of phagocytosis, and the cycle continues.’
- ‘When the spores completely fill the host cell cytoplasm, the cell lyses and releases the spores to the surroundings.’
- ‘This enzyme kills gram-positive bacteria by lysing their cell wall, notes Johnson.’
Early 20th century: back-formation from lysis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.