Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Freeze-dry (a substance)
dried, freeze-dried, dehydratedView synonyms
- ‘Cell wall material was then lyophilized and weighed.’
- ‘Samples conserved in liquid nitrogen are lyophilized prior to analysis.’
- ‘The starch granules were lyophilized in a freeze-drier for 48 h.’
- ‘A recent approach to reduce the interlaboratory variation has been to prepare a calibration curve using calibrated lyophilized plasmas.’
- ‘The aqueous extract was lyophilized to obtain a powder.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.