One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme that catalyzes the joining of specified molecules or groups by a double bond.
- ‘A strong decline with increasing leaf age in the activity of phenylalanine ammonia lyase, a key enzyme of flavonoid metabolism, was reported for barley.’
- ‘Genetic defects are known for both the synthase and the lyase.’
- ‘Whey contains many types of enzymes, including hydrolases, transferases, lyases, proteases, and lipases.’
- ‘Other categories include transferases, oxidoreductases, ligases, lyases, isomerases, proteases, molecular chaperons, and GTPases.’
- ‘This protein has a pectate lyase enzyme activity and could be involved in cell wall elaboration during germination and pollen tube growth.’
1960s: from lysis + -ase.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.