One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
put out of joint, put out of place, displace, disjoint, disconnect, disengageView synonyms
- ‘Any luxated tooth that interferes with normal occlusion requires immediate dental evaluation and treatment to avoid pain and further complications.’
- ‘The hind-leg problems that trouble Boston terriers are known as luxating patella, a dislocation of the small, flat, moveable bone at the front of the knee.’
- ‘The patella can become luxated, or dislocated, either as a result of trauma or because of a congenital malformation of the leg.’
- ‘The degree of abnormality can range from mild to extreme and can affect other skeletal problems including hip dysplasia, luxating patellae, osteochondritis dissecans and spina bifida.’
- ‘An inherited tendency, luxating patella can be aggravated by excess weight.’
Early 17th century: from Latin luxat- ‘dislocated’, from the verb luxare, from luxus ‘out of joint’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.