One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people living mainly in eastern Angola and western Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire).
- ‘In Angola these people are referred to as Ngangela, while in Zambia they are known as Wiko and or Luvale (depending on where they are situated in Zambia).’
- ‘Boris Wastiau, Curator at the Musee Royal de l' Afrique Centrale in Tervuren, grounds his essay in his personal experiences among the Luvale of Zambia.’
- ‘Among the Luvale of Zambia, knowing where to sit and how to sit is among the conventions of conduct that define a person and advance his or her rise in the community.’
- ‘Every year senior chief Ndungu of the Luvale invites his people and hosts many other chiefs to celebrate the Likumbu Lya Mize at Mize palace in Zambezi district.’
- ‘In this book, Sangambo traces the ultimate origin of the Luvale to Tanganyika, through Lunda, where marriages connected them to the empire, and then finally to their locations in Zambia.’
2The Bantu language of the Luvale, with around 600,000 speakers.Also called Lwena
- ‘The papers - Imbila, a Bemba production, Ngoma in Lunda, Luvale and Kaonde, Intanda in Tonga, Lukanga in Lenje and Liseli in Lozi and Tsopano in Nyanja - should help fill the information gap in rural areas.’
- ‘The local names are Mpulumba in Bemba and Lunda, Pulumba in Luvale and Ipumbulu in Tabwa.’
- ‘The main vernacular languages are Bemba, Lozi, Luanda, Luvale, Nyanja, Tonga, and Tumbuka.’
- ‘Other large languages are Tonga, Luvale, Lozi.’
Relating to the Luvale or their language.
- ‘Wastiau first examines how the Luvale view what he calls the High God, named Kalunga, and then describes the roles of ancestors and ‘spirits of affliction’ in Luvale cosmology and ritual.’
- ‘During this time increasing numbers of Cokwe and Luvale people immigrated to the grass plains in the south east of the Kuandu-Kubango province.’
- ‘Along the way, Chavuma managed to become Luvale territory.’
- ‘For Lunda and Luvale women, the main purpose of makishi masquerades that appear in the mukanda is to honor and make happy the initiates' mothers.’
- ‘Wastiau explains that aspiring to a better seat is an accepted social behavior, an indication of truly ‘sitting well’ within the hierarchy of Luvale society.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.