Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary gland that stimulates ovulation in females and the synthesis of androgen in males.
- ‘A new study measured the efficacy of estrogen, progesterone, Prolactin, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone and testosterone on women with the disorder.’
- ‘Oral contraceptives inhibit pituitary production of follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone by providing synthetic estrogen and progesterone to the user.’
- ‘Hormone injections with human gonadotrophin hormone (a mixture of luteinising hormone and follicle stimulating hormone) may be offered to you if clomiphene has not worked for you.’
- ‘To see whether the woman is ovulating (producing eggs) her blood is tested for the levels of some hormones called progesterone, luteinising hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and testosterone.’
- ‘Pituitary secretion of luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone was inhibited at this dose.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.