Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of ceramics) having an iridescent surface; shining.
- ‘This round lustred Maiolica dish was tin-glazed and coated with a luster glaze.’
- ‘I've used dark green sea glass with a bronze coloured wire, gorgeous lustred beads, bronze filigree beads, and a couple of green seed beads.’
- ‘The other is the name majolica, applied to lustred ware at first, and afterwards to all Italian faience.’
- ‘Gerry Unsworth makes lustred, smoked pots, contrasting the sophistication of the refracted lustre surface with the soft free smoke effects.’
- ‘Apart from the ingenious designs, set off by the lustred tin-glaze, the specific heraldic programme gives them a unique place in Niculoso's oeuvre.’
- ‘The only exception to this is our range of lustred ware - the silver, gold, and platinum lustred items should not be used in dishwashers.’
- ‘This shows the Medici device of a diamond ring with two feathers, as on the Valencian lustred vase in the British Museum.’
- ‘Before passing to the examination of these lustred wares in more detail a few particulars of the Maestro, Giorgio Andreoli, must be noted.’
- ‘The Medici tiles from the Castel S Angelo and from Tentudia are unusual in that they are entirely tin-glazed - either white, stained with blue or manganese, or lustred.’
- ‘They are supported by patinated bronze bases formed as peacock feathers inset with lustred favrille glass balls.’
- ‘It could not have been lustred, and the bright polychrome is entirely out of key with the blue and gold of the other tiles.’
- ‘The beads are then lustred all over with mother of pearl giving them a beautiful sheen like oil on water.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.