Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An inflammatory autoimmune disease causing scaly red patches on the skin, especially on the face, and sometimes affecting connective tissue in the internal organs.
- ‘Symptoms such as arthralgias, muscle weakness, or unusual rash may indicate the possibility of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus erythematosus, or dermatomyositis.’
- ‘This symptom pattern can occur in gonococcal arthritis, rheumatic fever, sarcoidosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, Lyme disease, bacterial endocarditis, and Whipple's disease.’
- ‘THH has been used widely in traditional Chinese medicine for the treatment of various human autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatic arthritis, lupus erythematosus, hyperthyroidism, psoriasis and so on.’
- ‘Under the topic of auto-immunity, most programs included only two specific diseases, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.’
- ‘For example, the Ro antibody test, when positive, can indicate a risk for certain forms of lupus skin disease such as subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus and neonatal lupus erythematosus.’
From lupus + modern Latin erythematosus, from Greek eruthēma reddening.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.