One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An inflammatory autoimmune disease causing scaly red patches on the skin, especially on the face, and sometimes affecting connective tissue in the internal organs.
- ‘For example, the Ro antibody test, when positive, can indicate a risk for certain forms of lupus skin disease such as subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus and neonatal lupus erythematosus.’
- ‘Symptoms such as arthralgias, muscle weakness, or unusual rash may indicate the possibility of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus erythematosus, or dermatomyositis.’
- ‘This symptom pattern can occur in gonococcal arthritis, rheumatic fever, sarcoidosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, Lyme disease, bacterial endocarditis, and Whipple's disease.’
- ‘Under the topic of auto-immunity, most programs included only two specific diseases, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.’
- ‘THH has been used widely in traditional Chinese medicine for the treatment of various human autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatic arthritis, lupus erythematosus, hyperthyroidism, psoriasis and so on.’
Mid 19th century: from lupus + modern Latin erythematosus, from Greek eruthēma ‘reddening’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.