One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an East African people of Kenya and the upper Nile valley.
- ‘The provincial capital of Kisumu is the third-largest city in Kenya and is a major cultural center for the Luo.’
- ‘The outside world may see a Kenyan, but the person, if asked, would consider himself a Luo first.’
- ‘There are, however, many societies in Kenya that do not circumcise, including the Luo, Kenya's second largest ethnic group.’
- ‘Most of the wealthiest people are Kikuyu, followed by the Luo.’
- ‘Throughout the first few centuries A.D., Kenya was the destination of numerous migrating tribes, such as the Luo and the Bantu peoples.’
- ‘A qualitative study on the Luo, a traditionally non-circumcising ethnic group in western Kenya, found high levels of acceptability.’
- ‘Even her first marriage to Otieno, a Luo, stretched boundaries as she is a Kikuyu, famous rivals of Luos for political and cultural reasons.’
- ‘Both Moi and Odinga used the genuine grievances and concerns of those living in dire poverty in Kibera to mount a provocative political stunt aimed at winning votes from the Luo in the elections due next year.’
- ‘Owuor, a man from the tribe of the Luo, our ‘houseboy ‘, sensed my parents' bewilderment, grasped their hands and guided our lives from the first day to the last.’
2The Nilotic language of the Luo.
- ‘Other ethnic languages include Luo, Kikuyu, Kamba, Luyia, Gusii, and Kalenjin, which are usually spoken at home.’
- ‘They speak Luo, which is their mother tongue, and learn Kiwahili as well.’
- ‘EAE is greatly influenced by such languages as Swahili at large, Kikuyu in Kenya, Chichewa in Malawi, Luo in Kenya and Tanzania, and Shona in Zimbabwe.’
Relating to the Luo or their language.
- ‘Zimba echoed Luo sentiments adding that he has travelled to remote areas of the country and witnessed the suffering, high ignorance and death levels.’
- ‘Tom Mboya, of the Luo tribe, was the more moderate of the two, and had the support of Western nations.’
- ‘Fourteen percent is Luhya, 13 percent is Luo, 12 percent is Kalenjin, 11 percent Kamba, 6 percent Kisii, and 6 percent Meru.’
- ‘In the Luo culture, there is no bigger event than a funeral feast.’
- ‘Even young Luo teenagers, who nowadays live in Nairobi and rarely visit Luoland, nevertheless have learned to speak Dholuo fluently.’
- ‘During the exchange of the Peace, African singers and dancers from an East London Mother's Union Group performed a Luo song of praise.’
- ‘Violent clashes broke out on December 4 between the people of the Nubian and Luo tribal groupings in Kibera, one of Kenya's largest slums.’
- ‘Among the ceramic works featured in ‘Transforming through Fire’ were an Akan terracotta head, an Ijebu figure of an Ogboni or Oshugbo chief, a Ga'anda ancestral pot, and a Luo storage vessel.’
- ‘Odinga is from the Luo tribe, whereas Kibaki is from the Kikuyu, the largest tribal grouping.’
The name in Luo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.