One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slow-witted person.
- ‘What sets these Jersey lunkheads from the current wave of underground rock is vocalist Steve Miller (no, not that one) and his glorious howl.’
- ‘Two lawbreaking lunkheads cruise the back roads in a car sporting a racist symbol while their scantily clad cousin objectifies herself for corrupt lawmen, and those are values?’
- ‘Not brilliant; even the lunkheads behind us in the theatre seemed to be able to follow it.’
- ‘The standard, sophisticated American view is that these people are rednecks and lunkheads.’
- ‘I will write a quick synopsis of the film for you lunkheads.’
- ‘But then again, what would purposeful self-sabotage prove except that his listeners are all just force-fed lunkheads?’
- ‘You won't learn anything from those lunkheads.’
- ‘Most rappers are big dull lunkheads who just mumble about themselves, but not DMX.’
- ‘This dynamic duo suffered the taunts of lunkheads until they had enough.’
- ‘Ex-Fu Manchu lunkheads finally surpass their former band on this release.’
- ‘Either a) you heard the muscle guy incorrectly, b) he was pulling your leg, or c) he's a total lunkhead.’
- ‘Anyway, the supposed joke is that Affleck is such a lunkhead that he has no books in his entire apartment, so he resorts to reading product labels.’
- ‘There are no idiot dads acting like bumbling lunkheads in front of their sneering, wisecracking wives and children.’
- ‘About the only power play then left to film actors (the same lunkheads who are gleefully grinding out product now) would be to place a strike-sensitive embargo on promoting these films when they come out.’
- ‘He was going to make sure that Clem would never ever even think about calling him a lunkhead again.’
- ‘By the time the credits roll, Kaylee will have had sex, Mal will have discovered his social conscience and Jayne will - well, Jayne will still be a belligerent lunkhead.’
- ‘And, as I always say, if someone is going to judge you for being honest or for wanting you both to be safe, what are you doing with the lunkhead?’
- ‘Somehow there is a tone in these case studies that patients/clients are lunkheads and I am the enlightened one.’
- ‘The leader tries to seduce Kirk while Rosie stares daggers, Billie tries to make time with the lunkhead and all of the women avoid the lecherous behaviour of the crusty father.’
- ‘The fact that many of them will also be cluttered with observers and cameramen and exit pollsters will further add to the chaos, and make many of us think we were lunkheads for not going the absentee route.’
Mid 19th century: probably from an alteration of lump + head.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.