One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of or concerning the combined motions or effects of the sun and moon.
- ‘Therefore, we have decided to neglect lunisolar effects in our simplified dynamical model.’
- ‘Finally, it cannot be identified with periodic lunisolar effects resulting from the actual theory of gravitation.’
- ‘Numerical studies show that lunisolar perturbations control stability of equilibria for orbits with semimajor axes exceeding 1.4 Earth radii.’
- ‘The air pressure variations due to lunisolar effects cause the deformation of the Earth and therefore directly and indirectly influence several geodynamical phenomena.’
- ‘The cited lunisolar interface is significant because an interpretation based upon the lunar phases so clearly points to the possibility of a special creation.’
- 1.1 Of or employing a calendar year divided according to the phases of the moon, but adjusted in average length to fit the length of the solar cycle.
- ‘In most solar and lunisolar calendars, the beginning of the year was fixed in spring or fall.’
- ‘The solar calendar is a stable component always to be found, but the attention to the lunisolar calendar needs explanation too.’
- ‘The Chinese calendar is a lunisolar calendar, incorporating elements of a lunar calendar with those of a solar calendar.’
- ‘Israel's civil calendar, India's and China's religious calendars are of the lunisolar type.’
- ‘The Hindu, Buddhist, Tibetan, Chinese and the Hebrew calendars are all lunisolar calendars.’
- ‘The Chinese Calendar is a lunisolar calendar based on calculations of the positions of the Sun and Moon.’
- ‘The Jewish calendar, a highly complex system, is ‘lunisolar ‘, where the years are solar and months lunar.’
- ‘In different Indian lunisolar calendars the lunar month is used, mixed with the sidereal month.’
- 1.2 Of or denoting a 532-year period over which both the lunar months and the days of the week return to the same point in relation to the solar year.
Late 17th century: from Latin luna ‘moon’ + solar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.