One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He lit the cigarette and took in a deep lungful of smoke, letting it trickle from his nostrils.’
- ‘There is no struggle: no flailing limbs or desperate twists of torso for a last lungful of oxygen.’
- ‘The girl inhaled a lungful of the sweet scent given off by the blossoms in the cherry tree hanging above her.’
- ‘We've all copped a lungful of black exhaust belching out of a diesel truck.’
- ‘He picked the short smoke back up, held it gingerly between his forefinger and thumb and sucked the last lungful, casually, as if an admission to murder were of no significance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.