One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It has derived frontal and temporal lobes and a lunate sulcus in a derived position, which are consistent with capabilities for higher cognitive processing.’
- ‘Tellingly, a structure called the lunate sulcus was pushed toward the back of her brain, as it is in H. sapiens's, leaving more space for areas involved in advanced association, forward planning, and problem solving.’
- ‘The aft section is a freely flooded articulated robot tail which is terminated with a lunate caudal fin.’
- ‘It is supported by a narrow lunate platform along the dorsal margin.’
- ‘The lunate microsporophylls and densely packed sporangia are consistent with the morphology of other noeggerathialean cones, such as Discinites Feistmanlel.’
A crescent-shaped carpal bone situated in the center of the wrist and articulating with the radius.
- ‘When the ulna is shorter than the radius, the lunate bone absorbs more force when the wrist is used for heavy gripping activities.’
- ‘The lateral view should be taken with the wrist in a neutral position in order to evaluate the alignment of the lunate with the rest of the wrist.’
- ‘In prolonged cases, osteophytes may occur at the dorsal rim of the distal radius or dorsal aspects of the scaphoid or lunate.’
- ‘The proximal row of carpal bones includes the scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, and pisiform, which are closely approximated to the distal radius.’
- ‘Disruption of the ligaments attached to the lunate leads to these different types of dislocation.’
Late 18th century: from Latin lunatus, from luna ‘moon’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.