Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The angular distance of the moon from the sun, a planet, or a star, used in finding longitude at sea.
- ‘He proposed the method of lunar distances to determine longitude which was an important proposal.’
- ‘During his editorship, Lalande added accurate tables of lunar distances from stars which were valuable in navigation.’
- ‘Not by accident, he used Harrison's chronometer and lunar distances to calculate longitudes accurately.’
- ‘For some years he had maintained a strong interest in, and advocacy of, the method of lunar distances for determining longitude.’
- ‘Mayer's method of determining longitude by lunar distances and a formula for correcting errors in longitude due to atmospheric refraction were published in 1770 after his death.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.