One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A globular fish of cooler northern waters, typically having a ventral sucker and spiny fins; a lumpfish.
- ‘A diver admires a gully wall covered in plumose anemones, the sought-after wolf-fish a long-clawed squat lobster, a male lumpsucker on egg-guarding duty, and colorful soft corals.’
- ‘Pink shrimps and flatfish abound, and brightly coloured juvenile lumpsuckers stick to the kelp fronds.’
- ‘One of the strangest fish you might encounter in spring is the male lumpsucker, which is left in shallow water guarding and nurturing his egg clutch after mating.’
- ‘Fish life generally is a bit sparse in the North Sea, but there are several relatively unusual species that favour this cooler water - you may come across lumpsucker, Norwegian topknot, yarrell's blenny and the spectacular wolf-fish.’
- ‘After all, occasionally I get to see something special like a lumpsucker, and these drifts are infinitely better than the even-scabbier ledges to be found on Lulworth banks.’
- ‘For those who dive mainly western and southern shores, there are several species you might not have come across before, such as lumpsucker, the rather aggressive-looking wolf-fish and cod.’
- ‘It looks more like a lumpsucker, but that's the problem with local common names.’
- ‘This is a kelp forest: few fish, but sightings of ghost shrimp, lumpsucker, scorpionfish, nudibranchs, comb jellyfish and isopods can be expected.’
- ‘He had found two large lumpsuckers lodged between two stones.’
- ‘The weather was promising, the tides along the South Coast were right and I had taken to the road in search of a strange fish called a lumpsucker, which Wittering Divers said I could find on the wreck of a Mulberry Harbour off Bognor Regis.’
- ‘Where else can you find anglerfish, dogfish, giant cuttlefish and lumpsuckers?’
- ‘Small projections or denticles are also commonly observed on suckers from a variety of other animals including the suckers of the clingfish, the lumpsuckers and other aquatic vertebrates and on tadpoles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.