One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surgical operation in which a lump is removed from the breast, typically when cancer is present but has not spread.
- ‘A fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the mass was performed followed by a lumpectomy with lymph node sampling.’
- ‘These include diabetes, nipple piercings, lumpectomies or breast irradiation, the use of corticosteroids, having silicone breast implants, and being a heavy smoker.’
- ‘She underwent a lumpectomy and completed radiation therapy, 9 months and 6 months, respectively, prior to the development of the scalp lesions.’
- ‘But then right after I came out, I think I found a lump in my breast that we thought was cancer, and I had to get a lumpectomy.’
- ‘The five-year risk of cancer returning after a lumpectomy drops from 26% to 7% if the radiation treatment is used, a University of Oxford team found.’
- ‘She made a positive choice to have a mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy to ensure the cancer did not spread.’
- ‘Medical history included a lumpectomy of the same breast 20 years earlier.’
- ‘Researchers are focusing on cancer patients who have had lumpectomies because this procedure is easier to correct than mastectomy.’
- ‘Typically, when a woman has breast cancer, she undergoes a lumpectomy to excise the cancer.’
- ‘Now not everybody is a candidate for what we call breast conservation, that is just doing a lumpectomy and radiation.’
- ‘An early stage cancer will probably involve a lumpectomy, removing the lump and the breast tissue around it.’
- ‘Following a mastectomy or lumpectomy, drains and drainage bags can be carried in the pouch.’
- ‘Most women with early breast cancer get offered a lumpectomy with radiation or a mastectomy.’
- ‘In addition, the cancer was no more likely to metastasise in women who had had a lumpectomy than in women who had had a mastectomy.’
- ‘If these nodes do not have cancer, you will most likely not have to have any more surgery after your lumpectomy.’
- ‘Am I doing too many mastectomies versus lumpectomies?’
- ‘Due to lack of diagnostic information, the patient received cancer therapy that included a lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, and radiation therapy.’
- ‘It is important to remember that, at this point, the patient is facing a lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy with possible axillary dissection.’
- ‘Following lumpectomy, local recurrence is usually at the surgical site and can be treated with mastectomy.’
- ‘One winter day an anxious young woman underwent a lumpectomy of her breast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.