One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A single payment made at a particular time, as opposed to a number of smaller payments or installments.
- ‘This amendment brought the necessary clarity on the taxation of such lump sum payments.’
- ‘Instead of releasing a cash lump sum, the money is used to buy an annuity which pays out a regular monthly income for life.’
- ‘However, when you die, your spouse would not be able to take anything left in the fund as a lump sum.’
- ‘Second, lump sum payments are worked out on the basis of an assumed life expectancy.’
- ‘If you have an interest-only mortgage, you need to invest regularly to build up a lump sum to pay off your loan.’
- ‘At the end of the term, a pre-agreed single lump sum payment is made by the borrower to clear the debt.’
- ‘In order to be able to offer the income, it had to invest the lump sum.’
- ‘It stated that the funds were to be used to secure the Retirement Benefits which were an annuity and a lump sum payment.’
- ‘An annuity, whereby the pensioner buys an income with a lump sum, can vary as well.’
- ‘It invests the lump sum in an investment plan worth the same as your home, less charges.’
- ‘If this occurs you may be able to pursue a lump sum compensation claim or to sue for compensation.’
- ‘Buying shares in your company can be a great way to turn monthly contributions into a juicy lump sum.’
- ‘At retirement the worker can take the accumulated money as a lump sum or turn it into an annuity.’
- ‘You could also factor in your family using up a little of the lump sum capital each year.’
- ‘No withdrawals are permitted during the five years and all the interest is payable in a lump sum on maturity.’
- ‘Instead, it's a form of insurance contract that you buy with a lump sum and which pays an income for life.’
- ‘The rebate is paid directly to the provider, or parents receive it in a lump sum at the end of the financial year.’
- ‘With life insurance, your dependents will get a lump sum payment if you die within the term.’
- ‘Should you take a tax-free lump sum or use all the pension fund to buy an annuity?’
- ‘When he dies, his wife is usually guaranteed a lump sum or payment of income for five years only.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.