One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Producing or transmitting light.
shining, bright, brilliant, radiant, dazzling, glowing, gleaming, coruscating, scintillating, lustrous, luminescent, phosphorescent, incandescentView synonyms
- ‘So may one therefore conclude that the luminiferous ether doesn't exist?’
- ‘Thus, with a swiftness approaching the speed of light itself, the luminiferous ether entered the graveyard of discredited scientific ideas.’
- ‘And I have been able to do so because I have become increasingly convinced that culture, like the luminiferous ether of nineteenth-century physics, doesn't do much work.’
- ‘These equations described visible light as a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, and said that the luminiferous ether was not necessary for electromagnetic waves to propagate through space.’
- ‘Also, it feels more natural to pull in facts from ‘normal’ science when I've already made the leap by talking about the luminiferous ether.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.