One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Producing or transmitting light.
shining, bright, brilliant, radiant, dazzling, glowing, gleaming, coruscating, scintillating, lustrous, luminescent, phosphorescent, incandescentView synonyms
- ‘Also, it feels more natural to pull in facts from ‘normal’ science when I've already made the leap by talking about the luminiferous ether.’
- ‘These equations described visible light as a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, and said that the luminiferous ether was not necessary for electromagnetic waves to propagate through space.’
- ‘And I have been able to do so because I have become increasingly convinced that culture, like the luminiferous ether of nineteenth-century physics, doesn't do much work.’
- ‘So may one therefore conclude that the luminiferous ether doesn't exist?’
- ‘Thus, with a swiftness approaching the speed of light itself, the luminiferous ether entered the graveyard of discredited scientific ideas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.