One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Emit light by luminescence.
shine, glimmer, glint, catch the light, glitter, shimmer, glow, sparkle, twinkle, flicker, blink, wink, glisten, flash, flare, beam, fluoresceView synonyms
- ‘Mixing of droplets caused enzyme reaction, and luciferin luminesced.’
- ‘The scan probably took about 40 seconds to make; in that time the young gills luminesced enough to distort the image, clearly visible in the enlargement!’
- ‘Thus in two of the dated samples the zircons failed to luminesce, and the transmitted and reflected light images of the zircons were the preferred source to glean some structural information on these zircons.’
- ‘Under normal light/dark conditions, the clock genes rhythmically luminesced in each of the cultured segments - head, thorax and abdomen.’
- ‘On both sides of the area where the torso would have been, there were hand prints which luminesced from the superglue fuming/dye stain development.’
- ‘According to the present invention, therefore, a dental restorative material is characterised by an additive which luminesces when irradiated by visible-wavelength light.’
- ‘Both dyes luminesce with single exponential lifetimes, and the emission is accurately fit by the sum of two exponential decays, with lifetimes identical to those measured separately in aqueous solution.’
- ‘She does not recognize the pattern of bars that luminesce on the gel until she has stared at it for a full minute.’
- ‘As a result, the entire upper surface of the laminate visibly luminesces in the presence of exciting radiation.’
- ‘Aequorin, when bound to its cofactor coelenterazine, luminesces in response to calcium binding.’
- ‘In the laboratory, males luminesced more often than juveniles and females, and more frequently when in a group of males, than when in a group with females.’
- ‘It is now also known that, in addition to scattering blue light and luminescing in the red, the dust in these clouds are luminescing in the blue, also.’
Late 19th century: back-formation from luminescence.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.