One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘Coming from a depressed background has paid dividends,’ he later observed with characteristic lugubriousness.’
- ‘But despite its lugubriousness and morbidness I left the theater going over the narrative possibilities and what they implied about the characters in a surprisingly pleasant mood.’
- ‘Besides helping to harmonise the King's familial arrangements Pompadour also brought an intense injection of fun into a court environment which had tended to reflect Louis' lugubriousness.’
- ‘Unfortunately, some other songs tend towards the kind of treacly lugubriousness that gives country music a bad name.’
- ‘The good news is that, despite its lugubriousness, it's still a good motion picture - a clear improvement upon episode one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.