One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large rounded nut that fits over a heavy bolt, used especially to attach the wheel of a vehicle to its axle.
- ‘Crew members tighten lug nuts they should have gotten during the previous pit stop.’
- ‘Today, while Kay was getting an estimate on fixing our car, the mechanic mentioned an expensive hub replacement due to faulty lug nuts and axles.’
- ‘Remove the hubcap, then loosen (but don't remove) the lug nuts by turning the tire-iron wrench counterclockwise.’
- ‘An airman inspector noticed the starboard aft wheel was missing all but one of its lug nuts.’
- ‘At this time your wheel bearings should be packed and lug nuts tightened.’
- ‘That other guy would probably settle for a couple of chrome lug nuts, but sometimes quality costs more.’
- ‘The trailer is getting its lug nuts checked out and fixed.’
- ‘Had it not been for a few loose lug nuts in the fall at Texas, he might have been the 2005 champion.’
- ‘Consider what happens, for example, if you leave a lug nut off a car wheel; you run the risk of the car careening off the road.’
- ‘More than protecting the lug nuts from exposure to the elements, Toyota hubcaps were guaranteed to give your vehicle a boost to its overall style.’
- ‘There is a storm coming behind us from the west and one of the lug bolts has come loose from the wheel, so that I can't get the lug nut off.’
- ‘For this reason, experts recommend using a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts when changing a wheel.’
- ‘The breaker bar made short work of the lug nuts, and he jacked the wheel back up in the air.’
- ‘That means that you were the one that didn't tighten the lug nut down.’
- ‘He goes over in his head what the problem could be - it could be loose lug nuts; it could be a spacer problem.’
- ‘Campus Security says four ‘high end’ vehicles were hoisted onto cinder blocks and had all their wheels and tires removed, leaving behind the lug nuts beside the brake drums.’
- ‘The lug nuts need to have outside thread for the hubcaps that screw down, or the lug nuts need to be flanged or contain a washer insert for the hubcaps that bolt on behind the lugs.’
- ‘It is like a decorative disk on your wheel that covers all of the lug nuts that are mounted on your wheels to your car's axle.’
- ‘If one of the duals is flat for a long drive, the vibration can cause the wheels to loosen up the lug nuts.’
- ‘I've had lots of problems over the years with stuck, stripped lug nuts, which ruin the lugs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.