One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solid transparent plastic made of polymethyl methacrylate (the same material as Perspex or Plexiglas)‘this replica, made of Lucite, is 7 inches tall’as modifier ‘a clear Lucite base’
- ‘Her furniture is formed of inflatable see-through plastic, while her bed looks like a solid block of lucite.’
- ‘This replica, made of lucite, is 7 inches tall and includes a beautiful porcelain display stand.’
- ‘My grandmother spends weekends in ghost towns looking for scorpions to cast in lucite.’
- ‘She's got it lined with sheepskin everywhere you can see, and she's got these bubble chairs made of lucite that are suspended from the ceiling by chains.’
- ‘Her acceptance was as gracious and exalting as if she herself had won the transparent, lucite trophy.’
1930s: from Latin lux, luc- ‘light’ + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.