One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The deck of a ship situated immediately above the hold.
- ‘You can sit at a table and eat your meal with friends on the lower deck.’
- ‘Once she got outside, the captain's chambers were on the other side of the lower deck.’
- ‘There is access to the lower deck and engine room but this is a tight squeeze and not really worth the effort.’
- ‘They can stroll to the bar, or perhaps down to a gym on the lower deck, next to the cargo hold.’
- ‘The lift was quiet as the two descended to the lower deck where the pilot was being held.’
- ‘After dinner two of the guys invited Roxanne and Grace to attend a show on the lower deck that night and two others asked Kelsie and Madison up to the top deck where the club was located.’
- ‘We went down to the lower deck, and ate some lunch by the buffet table.’
- ‘She tramped through the lower deck and had moved on to the upper deck when she caught sight of a rain drenched Shane.’
- ‘Bending could have been prevented by constructing the lower deck of the Ark out of logs, four layers deep, instead of planks.’
- ‘Some of the earliest material relates to life on the lower deck between 1910-22, and is full of detail about training, conditions on board ship and relations between different Naval branches.’
- ‘Daniel went into the elevator to the lower deck.’
- ‘The lower deck was built upon the horizontal timbers which supported the top of the inside planks, and this unfortunately limited the headroom available for those who had to live there to about 1.3 metres.’
- ‘He slid down the trail to the lower deck and followed Cassy's trail.’
- ‘Walking down the stairs into the lower deck, she had to cringe - the banister was caked with dust and cobwebs, and the stairs made the worst creaking sound imaginable.’
- ‘There are always a few loud ones who congregate on the lower deck and launch straight into conversations about the last job they did.’
- ‘A couple of hours into our stay, the stewardesses open two doors on the lower deck.’
- ‘In the alley on the lower deck, I find seamen from all over India sharing jokes and working with clinical efficiency.’
- ‘On a steamship he had to occupy the lower deck in the bow.’
- ‘There were storage rooms and equipment chambers for the ship's systems in the center of the vessel, where they had been moved from the lower deck of the old model.’
- ‘The lower deck was a series of small rooms and a ladder leading up to the deck.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.